Council on Optometric Practitioner Education
Optometric continuing education (CE) is the primary method used by optometric regulatory boards to promote the continuing competence of licensed optometrists. The Council on Optometric Practitioner Education (COPE) was created by ARBO to accredit continuing education on behalf of optometric licensing boards. Fifty two licensing boards accept COPE accredited Courses toward maintenance of licensure. COPE utilizes a standardized course submission, together with a standardized Administrator qualification process to fulfill its mission.
COPE MISSION STATEMENT
To assist Member Boards in the accreditation of optometric continuing education.
The objectives of the Council on Optometric Practitioner Education (COPE) are:
- To accredit optometric continuing education providers and activities for the public welfare.
- To monitor programs to help assure the quality and independence of continuing education in appropriate settings with adequate administration.
- To reduce duplication of effort by member boards.
- To create a uniform method of recording continuing education activities.
- To be the reference source for member boards for information about continuing education providers and activities utilized by licensed optometrists to fulfill their continuing education requirements.